Saturday 31 March 2012

Storylines - A Day Overdue


I remember saying to myself frequently that this is going to be a big year for A Day Overdue and I can tell you that I am not wrong. The things that they have planned are crazy. It’s going to be a big year for A Day Overdue and it seems that they are only going to excel themselves to greatness. I have to admit I always forget how popular they really are because all of the guys are so down to earth, honest and kind which is great to see as it shows that fame really hasn’t gone to their heads. Moving on to the purpose of this post which is simply not to big up another band, it is because I’ve had an exclusive first listen to their new single “Storylines”. Before I get too far into this, I will say it now that it is a really great song. I have all of A Day Overdue’s released music and I say this without any biased influences, this song has to be part of their best work. I honestly think it is a step above some of their older material, I really enjoyed their single “Last Goodbye” but I do think that “Storylines” is on a whole new level where A Day Overdue have really upped their game to record this single. I am really looking forward to hearing some more new tracks from them after listening to “Storylines”.

I’m not sure if it’s the climatic crescendo which draws you into the song so early on or simply the combined structure of the song which makes it fit so well. This song really demonstrates the bands talents and can be an eye opener for people that dismiss this band because with a song which is as strong as this it is enough to be an eye opener for anyone. I really like the instrumental section which takes place 2:40 within the track, where the listener is the slowly introduced to the vocals once again. I think this is a really effective use of layering within the song as the different parts aren’t overwhelming but gel together really well. I especially like the use of piano within the song and the way which the piano is left to play solo towards the end of the song as the texture gets thinner allowing for the different instruments to be heard. There is a mixture of drama but is then quite calming because of the piano solo which is left to play out the song.

That is just a brief idea into the song; hopefully it didn’t give too much away about the track. The music video for “Storylines” is going to be released this Sunday (1st April 2012) which will be your first opportunity to hear their new song.

No comments:

Post a Comment